Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Section of I-65 northbound scheduled for closure July 13-16

Beginning Friday, a section of I-65 northbound between I-264 (Watterson Expressway) and Chestnut Street overpass (“Hospital Curve”) will be completely closed due to paving. This section of I-65 will be closed beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Friday evening to 5:00 a.m. on Monday morning. The total closure of this section, which includes all entrance and exit ramps, will expedite the paving.


Hall Construction of Kentucky Inc. is the contractor on the $21.7 million project. According to Louisville’s chief engineer for the Department of Highways, the new asphalt surfacing of the three lanes will be paved simultaneously, which will reduce the chances of cracking resulting in potholes. The surface will also include a waterproofing mixture to prevent water from infiltrating the pavement prolonging the life of the roadway.

42 bridges (21 each way) within the section will undergo concrete patching and waterproofing. Motorists will use I-264 and westbound I-64 into southern Indiana to access northbound I-65. A second phase of construction will shift to southbound I-65 and is scheduled for closure on the weekend of July 20-23. The project completion date is set for September 30, 2012.

For construction and traffic updates, visit http://transportation.ky.gov/District-5/Pages/I-65-Construction.aspx. Traffic information for all eight counties in District 5 is also available at www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict5. Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for the latest in traffic and travel information across Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment