Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Construction to begin this week on I-71 and I-264 interchange

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) has awarded MAC Construction and Excavating a $3.9 million contract to improve the interchange at Interstates 71 and 264. Work will begin later this week on the roadway expansion meant to enhance capacity and safety.


I-264 (Watterson Expressway) will be widened to three lanes in both directions between US 42 and I-71. The entrance ramp from eastbound I-264 to northbound I-71 will be extended by approximately 3,000 feet to the Lime Kiln Lane overpass providing motorists more distance to merge onto I-71.

A deceleration lane will be constructed on southbound I-71 for motorists exiting onto westbound I-264 providing motorists more distance to slow before entering the Watterson Expressway.

The contractor will pave a new asphalt surface on I-264 between US 42 and I-71 and on I-71 between the Lime Kiln Lane overpass and I-264. Lane closures are possible weeknights from 9:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. the following morning, and shoulders may be closed during the day. The speed limit will be reduced to 45 MPH in the work zone.  The project is scheduled for completion by December 15, 2012.

The start date and duration of work is subject to change in the case of inclement weather or an unforeseeable delay.  Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for traffic and construction updates on Kentucky roadways.

No comments:

Post a Comment