Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lane Markings to Be Modified at Interstate 64 and Interstate 264

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's District 5 Office has announced temporary exit ramp closures from westbound Interstate 64 to both eastbound and westbound Interstate 264 (mile point 12.1). Ramps are scheduled for closure from midnight on Friday, June 10th until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 11th. Motorists will need to follow the signed detour via the Cannons Lane exit (Exit 10).

Crews will be restriping the pavement at the exit ramps and installing new overhead signs. Construction was completed last fall on an auxillary lane on westbound I-64 and changes were made to provide two exit only lanes for I-264 (Watterson Expressway). After observing a heavy queue of traffic and an increase in crashes at the ramp from westbound I-64 to I-264, engineers re-evaluated this interchange and decided to modify the striping configuration.

The right/outside lane of westbound I-64 is currently an exit only lane for eastbound I-264. This lane will be changed to allow motorists to exit for both eastbound and westbound I-264. The adjacent lane is an exit only lane for westbound I-264. The two lanes exiting for westbound I-264 will merge into one lane on the flyover ramp as was the previous configuration prior to construction last year.

The two left lanes of westbound I-64 closest to the median barrier wall will continue as through lanes.

In addition to the ramp closures, the two right lanes of westbound I-64 will be closed between Hurstbourne Parkway and I-264 to allow for overhead sign installation. These lane closures are scheduled from 10:00 p.m. on Friday, June 10th until 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 11th.

The actual starting date and duration of this work may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen delays occur. Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for the latest in traffic and travel information in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Traffic information for the District 5 counties also available at www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict5.

No comments:

Post a Comment